Friday, July 6, 2012

Princely frog

The formal name of this stream tree frog that lives in the Ecuadorean rainforest is Hyloscirtus princecharlesi (read full description here). The designation was chosen by Luis A. Coloma, head of the Jambatu Amphibian Conservation Center, and is meant to honor Prince Charles* and his charity work to save the rainforest. Coloma discovered the new species during a 2008 expedition in the Cotacachi-Cayapas National Park. Two specimens of the endangered frog are being bred by the Amphibian Ark in hopes of boosting the population in the wild.

*I shook Prince Charles' hand when he greeted the crowd before speaking at Georgetown University in 2005. We had a brief conversation during which he asked me if I charged up my machine [my scooter] every night, and I responded, "Yes!"
__________
Related posts:
_________

MY "TOP TEN" LIST HAS BEEN POSTED:

Top 10 Astonishing Things You Didn’t Know About Human Dissection

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels