Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Follow-ups

The follow-ups are coming fast and furious! If readers find them tedious, do let me know...
.
Hazards of hail Immediately after posting this entry, I checked the weird news and learned that 14 more Chinese were killed on Sunday in a hailstorm. Since the post was weather-related, I then sent the link to my favorite meteorologist Tony Pann, who responded with a "Hi Chris...nice work! :)"
.
Spontaneous human combustion A reader has referred me to this interesting, skeptical blog entry that supports the experimentally confirmed explanation of the "wick effect," pointing out that most of the victims of SHC are overweight, alcoholic smokers and that the closed room explains the apparent peculiarities of the fire.
.
Photography of Lewis Hine A blogger named Dr. X has informed me that I have mistakenly attributed the first photo in this post to Lewis Hine, when it was in fact taken by Charles C. Ebbets and shows workers on a break during construction of 30 Rockefeller Center, not the Empire State Building. Oops!
.
Mortsafes Reminiscent of 19th c. bodysnatching, four men have been arrested in China for unearthing the body of a young woman. But rather than dissection, her posthumous fate is to be a bride to a young man who died before he was married. And like the infamous Burke and Hare, bodysnatchers have turned to murder to provide "ghost brides."
.
Animals and lightning A lightning strike in East Lothian in Pencaitland, Scotland, has killed 16 bullocks that were standing in a puddle trying to shelter under a tree during a storm. The farmer said the animals were singed and he could "smell it in the air" when he arrived at the sad scene.
.
Chihuahuas in the weird news Instead of becoming a "quick snack," 3 toy chihuahuas held off a cougar in a residential garage in Southern California on Saturday.
.
Edward C. Johnson Mr. Johnson's daughter Melissa sent me a small Anubis statue he had owned to remember him by. I have it on my desk. Also enclosed were several photographs including this one of the mortuary professor instructing his students in facial reconstruction.
.
A fellow blogger saw my mention of Annette Funicello in the 6/11/09 entry of my Health Diary and offers this link to a photo of the actress from her "Mouseketeers" days. (The post mentions a link to a slideshow, but I don't see it.)
.
In the 10/28/08 entry of my Health Diary, I link to a slideshow of the ruins of Petra in Jordan. My sister recently saw this sculpture of Petra by Guy Laramee at the Bellevue Art Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels