Friday, August 1, 2014

Cocoa conclusion

For the first 3 years of my life, my Mom had me convinced that a Ritz cracker was a "cookie." When my aunt offered me a cookie and handed me an Oreo, my eyes lit up at first bite and my world was changed forever. Imagine how these cocoa bean farmers in Africa's Ivory Coast felt when they tasted a chocolate bar for the first time. Better yet, WATCH IT HERE on an episode of the Dutch TV program Metropolis. A commentor on the program explains, "I know it's weird, but in West Africa a bunch of the stuff we produce is for export only. It wasn't part of the traditional food, thus people never cared to eat it, or even knew how to finish production of it. The raw materials are just sent off. It's not just cocoa. We produce coffee but don't roast it or drink it. We produce mangos, but not mango shakes. Chicken, but the variety for export is considered 'too soft' for the local palette."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels