Friday, June 1, 2012

Beaky bird

I've seen plenty of photos of two-headed animals, predominantly snakes and turtles. And I did a post not too long ago about two-faced cats. But this is something else: a conjoined twin bird! This is no heraldic double-eagle or mythological motif. And it is not photoshopped. It's what April Britt found on Monday night when she and her husband went out to the yard of their Northampton, Massachusetts, home to see what all the squawking was about. Britt reports that adult cardinals had been flying around her property for a few days, but she was astounded at what she saw perched in the pine tree: “There was this little deformed bird sitting on the lower branch. This bird had like a double head that wasn’t quite separated, but you could see there was gonna be 2 heads and 3 beaks. I thought it was pretty rare. I’ve definitely never seen anything like it. I’ve seen a two-headed snake and I’ve seen a frog in a pond with three legs, but I’ve never seen a deformed bird like this before.” (See the interview and more photos here.) The chick is not expected to survive, even though Britt has tried to protect it from the neighborhood cats and an adult cardinal continues to feed it.
__________
Posts about conjoined humans:
__________
If you are intrigued, I reiterate my offer
(see right-hand column)
to send readers a copy of my book
for the discounted price of $25,
which includes domestic postage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels