Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering



I don't know about you, but I am emotionally exhausted from reliving September 11th, 2001, for a whole week rather than confining our collective remembrance to a single day - this being the 10th anniversary of that sad, horrific, and world-changing series of events. If you remember where you were when you heard the news of the attack (I was at my desk at Georgetown University just a few miles from the Pentagon) and if you knew anyone who was killed (I did not), you may want to read two more stories. But if you have done enough reminiscing for now, just note the haunted look in the eyes of these 2 men - one a survivor and the other a witness.

Ron DiFrancesco (1st image)
DiFrancesco, now 47, was working in the South tower as a broker when he became one of the last people to escape from above the 81st floor before the building collapsed. "Why did I survive and 61 of my colleagues didn't?" he asks, still struggling with survivor guilt.


Richard Drew (2nd image)
"To me, it's a real quiet photograph," says Drew, 64, of the heart-wrenching image that became known as "Falling Man." Drew is a veteran Associated Press photographer who watched dozens die at the twin towers of the World Trade Center through the lens of a Nikon DCS620.

United in grief today, I can't turn the television off...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels