Thursday, September 8, 2011

Eating rocks

A nominee for the June 2011 VPI Hambone Award is a pug from Rhode Island named Harley (2nd image). His owner Lori Laverdiere describes, “I picked up Harley from boarding at his veterinarian’s office, where he has frequently stayed since he was a puppy. When we got home, I took him for a walk and he started pooping out rocks. Nothing else, just rocks.” Unable to keep down any food or water, the dog was rushed to the emergency animal hospital. Lori and the vet were stunned when the x-ray (1st image) showed that Harley's intestines and half his stomach were filled with more than 100 rocks! The pug was kept under observation, administered a laxative, and released a couple of days later. No surgery was necessary.

Chuck and Ann Roberts, the owners of a Georgia jewelry store, quickly realized that the disappearance of $10,000 worth of diamonds last month was an inside job. Their pet Pomeranian
Honey Bun (3rd image) has the run of the store and took advantage of Chuck leaving his desk for a few minutes to gobble up a pair of expensive earrings. The Roberts took their dog to the vet. Carbon doesn't show up on x-rays, so the ingestion of the gems was confirmed by the blank spots on the films. "I haven't scolded him to this day and I won't. Why not? It's my fault for leaving the chair there, that's why," says Chuck. The situation resolved itself the following day...


  1. The diamonds I understand, but the rocks?

  2. Lori Laverdiere9/09/2011 3:58 PM

    I'm Harley's owner (the rock eater) and I can't tell you how or why he did it. He's never eaten rocks before. It was very scary. But he recovered and didn't need surgery. I can't believe how Harley's story has spread all over the internet.


You may add your comments here.