Monday, June 13, 2011

Dangerous dessert

It happened Saturday night, this past weekend. A party of 4 (1 man and 3 women) was burned by bananas foster (1st image, the dessert being served at Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, where it was invented). They had finished their meals at Ozona Blue Grilling Co. in Palm Harbor, Florida, at approximately 9pm. Their server approached the table and set their flaming dessert alight, but apparently used too much rum and set off an accidental explosion. The burning alcohol splashed onto the diners. Another patron (an off-duty firefighter) and restaurant workers provided first aid until paramedics arrived. Two of the women, ages 25 and 56, were burned severely enough to be flown by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital. The younger woman, who received 1st- and 2nd-degree burns when her dress caught fire, remains hospitalized. "It's going to be a long time for her to heal," said a fire department spokeswoman.

I have been to Brennan's as a child, but we did not order their signature dessert, nor have I had it since. I have, however, shared a much less dangerous dish with my sister while dining at the revolving restaurant at the top of Seattle's Space Needle. When water is added to dry ice beneath their lunar orbiter dessert, it causes a fog to blanket the table (video here)! Safer than flames by far, and just as spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.