Friday, September 11, 2009

Topiary elephants






















I saw the photo just above (#7) on the Folly Fancier site, which I linked to last Sunday in the Wimpole's folly post. As the description explains, a topiary is not a folly, but I thought it would be interesting to look other shrubbery elephants - and found some with personality. The photos link to the sources, although only some identify the location. I found the one at the top to be my particular favorite because of its whimsy, but chose #2 because it needs trimming and looks like a mammoth and #3 because it is so skinny! No matter how realistically they are portrayed, elephants are not at all scary like the topiary animals in Stephen King's novel The Shining. It seems I was not the only one to be disappointed that they did not come to life in the 1980 film - instead replaced by a garden maze. The 1997 TV remake was not as good as the original film, but was worth watching to see the topiary animals go on the hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels