Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!


Happy Father's Day to all the dads and stepdads out there! My stepfather Del pointed out the sandhill cranes in the yard when I came down to Florida this Spring. My father gives me weekly "Marlin Perkins" reports of the wildfowl he watches in his Arizona backyard (currently a family of owls and a lot of finches, but often hawks and quail). So I thought it appropriate to blog about one of the best animal dads: the greater rhea. The males of this South American bird prepare a nest, incubate as many as 50 eggs for 6 weeks, and take care of the newly hatched young. The photo at the top shows them nestling in the feathers of dad's back. Thanks, Dad, for inspiring my love of animals - and enjoy your birdfeeder! We'll be taking Del out for dinner later - but we won't be eating chicken! (Actually, Del slaved over a hot grill so we could have chicken wings last night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels