Thursday, January 15, 2009

Caves





Check out the size scale in these two photographs, which I do not believe are Photoshopped. On top is the Crystal Cave of Giants in Chihuahua, Mexico, which contains some of the largest natural crystals ever found: translucent gypsum beams measuring up to 36' long and weighing up to 55 tons (note the man on the left). Below that is Cueva del Fantasma in Aprada tepui, Venezuela, which looks like an average-sized cave until you note the two helicopters at the entrance...

Lechuiguilla Cave in Carlsbad Caverns National Park is the 5th longest known cave in the world (122 miles so far) and the deepest limestone cave in the U.S. It is off limits to the public, but you can take a virtual tour via a slideshow or video.

I assumed all caves were off limits to me, but my friend Sheila pointed out that Carlsbad Caverns is accessible (at least in part). And my stepmother Sarah found that Shenandoah Caverns near Luray, Virginia, has an elevator, so Penelope (BeBe's predecessor) and I got to go underground a couple of summers ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels