Monday, December 8, 2008

Earthquake experienced when I was 5

I remember being profoundly affected as a child seeing a charred-out house that had burned down in my St. Louis neighborhood. I also remember my family withdrawing to the SW corner of the basement during tornado watches (conditions right) and warnings (funnel cloud spotted). But I also remember standing in a kitchen and holding onto the counter as the floor violently shook--an earthquake! I began wondering last night if the event is documented in the scientific literature, and of course it is, by the U.S. Geological Society and the Seismological Society of America. Turns out it was a pretty big quake, too: 5.5 on the Richter Scale, and occurring along the New Madrid fault. The image shows a tombstone rotated by the winds; there were injuries and damage, but no deaths. My sister, who would have been 2 years old and present at the time, will not be impressed by the event, having withstood numerous earthquakes while living in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels