Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tempest fugit

The winged hourglass occasionally depicted on Colonial gravemarkers is the visual equivalent of the saying, "Tempest fugit [Time flies]." It supposedly graces the gravestone of Lt. John Parker in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, who died in 1763 (or 1774). Without having seen that stone or a photograph of it, just a rubbing, I decided on September 11, 2002, that I needed that image etched on my arm, so I got a tattoo. Just now, I searched again, hoping to find a photo of the Parker gravestone. Instead, I found this beautiful, award-winning quilt with images from New England stones, including the winged hourglass. Artist Judy Coates Perez was just finishing the quilt on September 11, 2001, and was so unsettled that she was unable to show it for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels